It is designed to be used as a complete training guide by working through the sections. It can also be used as a reference document and a source of information once training is complete.
Each section covers an important aspect of food safety. Each section contains:
- Clearly stated learning outcomes.
- Key terms used in the section which are highlighted in blue. (N.B. The amount of jargon and technical terms has been kept to a minimum but some are unavoidable).
- A check list for self-assessment.
Managers and owners of food business may require further or more detailed information on issues such as food safety management systems after completing this manual. Some useful sources of this information are suggested at the end.
This training course is divided into the following sections:
- Food safety terms and concepts.
- You, the food handler - what you need to know before you start work in a catering business.
- You, the catering business owner - what you need to know before you open up a catering business.
- Types of food contamination.
- Microbiological contamination and cross contamination.
- Temperature control, cooking and storage.
- The catering premises - construction and cleaning.
- Food safety laws, regulations and enforcement.
- Food safety management systems and HACCP.
- Multiple choice questions.
- Study of outbreaks - what went wrong?
- Sources of further information and advice.
The most important subjects are covered more than once and in different sections.